Thursday, November 17, 2011

Sandwich Week: Turkey and Sliced Egg. A Variation

"A variation on what?", you might ask.  A variation on the first sandwich I hi-lighted this week.  "Why?", you might also ask.  Because I had a ton of that red cabbage slaw left over and I needed to do something with it.  Here's what happened:

Still using that fine paper china, I see...
Turkey and Sliced Egg Hero

Ingredients
  • Some kind of hero or roll - I used a rosemary/salt baguette
  • Red cabbage slaw - (see recipe)
  • Sliced turkey breast
  • 1 hard-boiled egg - sliced
  • Garlic/butter spread - made from garlic and butter (duh)
  • Gold's HOT horseradish - yeah
OK, here was my thought process on this one. Do something similar, yet different.  So I poked my head in the fridge to see what I could see.  And what I saw was some turkey, some horseradish and a hard-boiled egg.  I could work with that.

The bread is a little different.  A rosemary/salt baquette instead of an olive baguette.  I still toasted it with some butter and garlic just the same though. And I used some of that red cabbage slaw I had made up earlier in the week.  That's the similarities.  The differences are turkey breast instead of roast beef, no shaved Romano cheese, a sliced hard-boiled egg and a smear of spicy horseradish on one side of the hero.

The results? Fan-freakin-tastic!

All the flavors of the slaw came through, as did the garlic rosemary toast and horseradish.  And the addition of the sliced egg was pure genius, if I do say so myself.  What's great about it is that all the secondary flavors from the slaw, horseradish and bread didn't steal from the two main ingredients of turkey and egg.  They just accentuated the flavors nicely.  You might me tempted to sprinkle a little salt on this one, but I didn't because the baguette was a bit salty to start with.  All in all, another great one! 

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm. I don't know about this one. I'll bet it tastes better than it sounds *that's what she said).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sybil - I hear ya. I was wondering the same thing while I was preparing it. But, thankfully, it tasted great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds great - I love the use of the hot horseradish and boiled egg in there.

    ReplyDelete