Monday, November 14, 2011

Sandwich Week: Roast Beef with Red Cabbage Slaw

Hey kids!

Welcome to Day 1 of Sandwich Week here on Simmer, Sip, Share!!!

I know, I know.  You somehow missed that on your calendar, right? Well, I just decided late Sunday night to make it Sandwich Week this week.  A spur of the moment kinda thing, if you will.  I'm going to post once a day about a great sandwich I've made and/or enjoyed.  The rest of you kids who contribute?  Well, I hope you will join in either in the comments or with a post of your own.

Here goes:
_________________________________________________________

Roast Beef with Red Cabbage Slaw

Enjoy the fine paper china




Ingredients

  • Boar's Head Roast Beef - sliced thin
  • Fresh baked olive baguette - around 7-9 inches long
  • Unsalted butter - just a pat or four
  • 1 clove garlic - minced
  • Romano cheese - shaved thin
  • Red cabbage slaw - see recipe below
Here's what you are gonna want to do. Make a garlic butter spread with the, duh, garlic and butter.  Spread it thinly on both sides of the olive baguette you've sliced in half.  You can't get your hands on an olive baguette?  I feel sorry for you.  But feel free to replace with something less tasty, like Italian bread or something.  Now toast that sucker up a nice golden brown in the oven, toaster oven or whatever you have.

Now layer on the red cabbage slaw (recipe below) and let it sit for a while so that the juices from the slaw really sink into the toasted bread.  While that is happening, shave some Romano cheese onto that bad boy.  Doesn't have to be a lot, so use your best judgement here. Cheese is a personal choice, so I would never assume to tell you how much or how little to use.  Uncommon sense is the rule here.

Finish up your sandwich with as much or as little sliced roast beef as you like.  I didn't tell you how much cheese to use, and I certainly won't tell you how much roast beef to use.  Again...it's a personal choice.

Smush it all together and serve with a pickle spear and an ice-cold beer.  I made this on Saturday afternoon, and it was...sublime.  The garlic/olive bread, the roast beef, the shaved romano, the vinegar/oil, celery seed, raisins and red onion from the slaw made an incredibly delicious combination.

I give it the Earl Seal of Approval.  Dig!


Ingredients
  • 1/2 head red cabbage - heavily shredded or thinly sliced (either way)
  • 2 medium carrots - peeled and shredded
  • 1 small red onion - diced
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 tsps celery seed
  • 2 tbsps sugar
  • salt and pepper - to taste
Take your vinegar, olive oil, celery seed, sugar and salt and pepper and whisk them up until they are mixed together really nicely.  At least until the salt and sugar dissolve.

In a large salad bowl, mix the shredded red cabbage, carrots, onions and raisins.

Slowly add the vinegar/oil mixture and mix thoroughly.  Cover and refrigerate for a few hours before you intend to serve.  It makes a great side dish, or (as you can tell) a great addition to a tasty sammich.



9 comments:

  1. The red cabbage slaw recipe is from the Food Network, by the way. The link is right there in the title for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking Ima try this slaw tonight. I mentioned on JTTC I have some Korean Boolagi that I got from Trader Joes, and I think I'll use that in place of the roast beef - give it an Asian twist. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. not a fan of roast beef. so not for me.
    sad. i want to like it. especially since it has slaw on it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fugs - that's the marinated BBQ beef or pork, right? That'll work.

    Becky - Easily fixed. What kind of sandwich meat do you prefer? Try it with turkey or pastrami or ham. All would work. Not as well as roast beef, but what are ya gonna do...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome!
    So, samiches this week, eh? I might be able to do that...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Earl - that's correct, the Boolagi I have is beef. Didn't get to it last night as time slips quickly with two little ones, one of whom cries out for hotdogs. Made Gyros tonight though. Maybe I'll post that recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7. dear lord I need this sandwich right now. Sadly, I'm fairly sure the butter and garlic are the only two ingredients I have in the house. And that would be weird. Hoping to make it over to the local deli today for a sandwich as big as my head tho....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fugs - Let us know how the sammy with the Boolagi works out.

    Neeroc - A sandwich as big as one's head. That's the dream. That's the dream...

    ReplyDelete